Repeater System Term of Use
The fine print...
Table of Contents
Article 1 – Scope
The following articles shall apply to all persons intending to operate the repeater systems associated with Tucson GMRS Association, Inc, conducting business as the “Southwest Community Radio System,” hereafter referred to as the ‘SWCRS’ and ‘REPEATER SYSTEM’ respectively.
The rules and regulations posted herein and imposed by the SWCRS are subject to change at any time without notice.
Article 2 – System Owners
The REPEATER SYSTEM consists of privately held equipment from numerous entitities; ownership information for specific repeaters and associated equipment may be requested by any authority having jurisdiction by contacting: email@example.com.
Article 3 – Usage Requirements
All control operators (henceforth known as ‘CONTROL OPERATORS,’ ‘OPERATORS,’ or ‘USERS’) enter in agreement with the OWNERS the use of the REPEATER SYSTEM under the following conditions:
- Users must operate in compliance with the FCC rules and regulations governing the GMRS, that is the FCC Code of Federal Regulations, Part 95, Sub-part E. Specifically, and consistent with these rules:
- No kerchunking! Kerchunking is sending a brief transmission only to hear the repeater come back and give its courtesy tone; do the repeater owners and everyone else listening to the many repeaters a favor and identify your short transmissions as the FCC requires you to do.
- All users of the repeater system must be properly licensed for the GMRS service and properly identify all transmissions.
- In-band tone signaling is allowed on the REPEATER SYSTEM so long as transmissions are properly identified. Excessive use may result in restrictions on these types of transmissions on the system in consideration of the many stations that may be monitoring at anytime.
- USERS may not cross-band into other radio services such as the ARS and MURS.
- The REPEATER SYSTEM is provided for the purposes of contacting and passing information between fellow GMRS operators, and providing service to the public as a voluntary, noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications. The REPEATER SYSTEM shall not be used to conduct business operations except where explicitly approved by the SWCRS as given in appendix A below.
- The following shall not be tolerated on the REPEATER SYSTEM:
- Malicious or intentional interference of anyone´s communications.
- Obscene, indecent, racist, derogatory, or otherwise profane words, language, or meanings. Discussion of political or potentially sensitive social issues is discouraged.
- Communications related to the conducting of any illegal activities or operations.
- Those who wish to utilize the REPEATER SYSTEM to host radio nets must first have the proposed net approved by the SWCRS. Approved nets are given in Appendix B below.
- Users of the REPEATER SYSTEM shall treat other GMRS and FRS stations on and off the REPEATER SYSTEM, and the REPEATER SYSTEM itself, respectfully.
- Excepting the OWNERS, no individual has a legal right to use any repeater equipment, it is private equipment provided to the licensed public as a courtesy only. The OWNERS reserve the right to forbid the use of the repeaters by anyone who repeatedly violates these rules, or anyone who facilitates or encourages others to violate these rules. Large scale, repeated violation of these rules may result in the revocation of all public access from the REPEATER SYSTEM, upon which it shall be made available on an as-requested basis per individual.
- USERS and/or OPERATORS shall agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the OWNERS and the SWCRS and any of its affiliates from liability and claim for damages because of bodily injury, death, property damage, sickness, disease or less any expense arising from any situations resulting from the use and operation of the REPEATER SYSTEM. Use at your own risk.
Appendix A – Permitted Business Users
The following businesses shall be permitted to utilize the REPEATER SYSTEM as part of mutual operation of repeater equipment. Usage shall be compliant with FCC CFR 47, Part 95, Subpart E. Businesses carry no affiliation with the SWCRS outside of the operation of mutually utilized equipment and infrastructure, and are solely responsible for the legal operation of the system to the extent of their communications:
- Southern Arizona Video Productions, LLC (“SAVP”), with usage limited solely to equipment located at the TUCSON 550 site.
Appendix B – Permitted Radio Nets
The following radio nets are permitted on the REPEATER SYSTEM. Radio nets shall be operated in compliance with FCC CFR 47, Part 95, Subpart E. Radio nets carry no affiliation with the SWCRS, except when explicitly noted. Nets may be approved and authorized prior to implementation into this policy prior to the board acting to amend the following list with verbal or written approval from an officer of the SWCRS.
- Southwest GMRS Net, meeting every Sunday at 5PM MST
- National GMRS Net, meeting every Sunday at 6PM MST
- Tech Net, meeting every Wednesday at 7PM MST
Appendix C – Repeater Linking Policy
The REPEATER SYSTEM is open for internet linking via Asterisk APP_RPT using the IAX voice protocol as made popular by the Amateur Radio Allstar Link system.
The system is registered with the myGMRS network registration server, and the REPEATER SYSTEM is open for linking and usage by any devices using the IAX protocol also on this network. Those who maintain linked GMRS repeater systems outside of the myGMRS registration server may link with the REPEATER SYSTEM upon approval from the myGMRS network administrators.
The SWCRS firmly believes that GMRS systems should be open to use by all members of the community that are properly licensed. Resultantly, we make our access information available freely to the public and maintain open link access to our system; this is extended to the entire GMRS community as regulated by the FCC. We do this in good faith and believe that most users will do their best to abide by the rules and practice good etiquette to the best of their knowledge.
Appendix D – Authorized Users
Only licensees explicitly authorized to access the REPEATER SYSTEM may utilize the REPEATER SYSTEM. The SWCRS maintains a list authorized licensees, use by unlisted personnel is not permitted per the FCC’s rules and regulations. The SWCRS will readily furnish a list of users to any authorities having jurisdiction when requested to to do so.